Welcome friends! My intention with this blog is just to have a space where I can post pictures of the projects I'm working on and explain what I'm up to. I can't promise to be consistent or particularly insightful, but I will try to be honest and show you what I can of my so called life. Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Upper Bedroom Down!

Honestly, i didn't just finish.  I was done a while ago and then waited for a nice sunny day to take the pictures, and then i waited some more until i had the motivation to write about it.  Today is that day!  I'm beginning to realize that there is a lot of work that goes into making over a room a  that really doesn't need to be documented, that is, it really wouldn't be all that interesting to read about.  And so, you will only be seeing the good bits.

I think the walls turned out great.  It was actually the worse cracks that look the best now since i had to work so hard to get them smooth, and the hairline cracks that i just sort of skimmed over are in some places noticeable through the paint.  The ceiling that before was extremely dingy is now a bright white and the walls are a cheerful yellow.  I suggested a color like i had in my room at the nest and my mom wanted to go a little more yellow.  I wanted the butter and she wanted the margarine, i guess.  It looks good.  It's going to be so bright in there when the afternoon sun shines in, which is perfect for a craft room.  I'm kinda jealous.  I also love how the walls and the floor just set each other off, it's quite lovely.

In preparation for taking the pictures, i gave the floors a thorough cleaning.  That may sound like no big thing: get out the broom and mop and polish it up in no time.  Unfortunately for me, i was very messy as a child and i took terrible care of the floor in my old bedroom.  When i moved out, the room just became a storage place and no one bothered to clean it.  It was probably a good 15 years if not more since the floor was decently cleaned.  Of the things i cleaned off the floor, these are some of the things i could identify:

a GIANT puddle of dried elmer's glue
a bunch of seed beads that were stuck between the floor boards
glitter nail polish
acrylic paint
puffy paint
what i can only assume was cat vomit. 

Needless to say, it took me a lot longer than i expected.
But here are the results:





One thing i've been enjoying about these projects is that i'm not just changing the color or giving the rooms a face lift, i'm actually creating all new spaces.  Its as if i just gave my parents a room where there wasn't one before. 

Now I have to refinish the doors and do some other odds and ends and i'll be ready to start on my grandpa's house!

1 comment: